30 Days of Thanks #9- I am NOT Attending the Ladies’ Retreat
Throughout the month of November I am writing about the first thing for which I am consciously thankful each day. I am doing this simply as a way to be more intentionally grateful. For more on this project, check out the first one or even last year’s 30 Days of Thanks.
That may sound like a really weird thing for a guy to be thankful for. Although I’m not really proud of it, I may hold the record for being the male who has attended the most East Coast Ladies Retreats. Unfortunately, I have been in charge of the audio at four of different ECLRs (I always pronounce that “éclair”) and only three of those were at my church. There are many, many reasons that I am glad that I am not making the trip to Goldsboro, NC to be a part of the overly-estrogenic festivities this year:
- I don’t have to ride a bus for 4+ hours, stopping every 30 minutes for a bathroom break.
- I don’t have to worry if I will be dressed up enough or too much for the conference.
- I don’t have to remind myself that there is a fundamental difference in the words “retreat” and “conference” (ECLC is more accurate but less feminine).
- I don’t have to boost the 4k frequency on a speaker’s microphone (just enough to ride the edge of feedback) before leaving the room because she is appalled at my masculine presence half-way through her illustration.
- I don’t have to pretend to eat healthy food while stuffing my face full of every pastry I can get my hands on.
- I get to stay home and hang out with my kids while my wife gets a much-needed break from us.
Yeah, I’m going with that last one. That list was starting to sound like a Dr Pepper Ten commercial.
Today, November 9, I am thankful for the chance to be a more hands-on dad this weekend.